Friday, April 3, 2009

OHL Playoff Predictions - Round Two

I know it's slightly late to post this since round 2 has already started. However, I do promise that these predictions were made two days ago. I just haven't had the time to post them.

First a review of my predictions for round 1. (they can be found here)

Eastern Conference: 3/4
Western Conference: 4/4

7/8 out of eight sure ain't bad. The series I missed on was Barrie over Mississauga. I said that I thought Barrie would get the edge due to better goaltending. However, neither of Barrie's usually dynamite duo, Michael Hutchinson and Peter DiSalvo, had a good series. Interesting enough, I felt Chris Carozzi's goaltending was suspect and perhaps not good enough to let the Majors win a series. In that, I was right. Carozzi was replaced by 92 born J.P Anderson and he helped Mississauga into round two.

Onto my predictions for round 2...

Eastern Conference

1. Belleville Bulls vs. 6. Niagara IceDogs
Season Series: Bulls 4-0
My Analysis: It was great to see the Dogs advance into the second round, as it means I'll be getting to see more OHL action live, which is always a plus in terms of bringing you reports. However, I'm not to sure how much more hockey I'm going to get to see this season. Belleville has largely dominated Niagara this season and I'm not sure I see the Dogs keeping up with the balanced offensive attack in Belleville. Not to mention Mike Murphy in net. I think Jeremy Smith has a chance to steal a game or two, but not much more.
Prediction: Belleville in 5

2. Brampton Battalion vs. 4. Mississauga St. Michael's Majors
Season Series: Battalion 7-1
My Analysis: Another one I don't expect to be incredibly close. I like the Majors and I like the fact that they've gotten some good goaltending from the rookie Anderson. But the Battalion are a juggernaut right now. They've got everything working for them and all cylinders rolling. At this point, I'm not even sure that Belleville can stop them in the conference finals, when the the time comes.
Prediction: Battalion in 5


Western Conference

1. Windsor Spitfires vs. 4. Plymouth Whalers
Season Series: Spitfires 6-2
My Analysis: I guarantee you that this wasn't the matchup that Windsor wanted in round 2. Plymouth has been rolling for quite some time now, getting solid offensive production, solid defensive coverage, and great goaltending. Obviously Windsor is outstanding on paper and they have oodles of talent, but I think their goaltending lets them down this series. Matt Hackett may be the biggest kept secret in the OHL. Meanwhile, the Spits have already shown a lack of faith in season starter Andrew Engelage with Josh Unice getting some playoff action. I think goaltending, heart, and momentum carry Plymouth to victory.
Prediction: Plymouth in 7

2. London Knights vs. 3. Saginaw Spirit
Season Series: Knights 3-1
My Analysis: I think this is a great match up for the Knights. I was originally somewhat skeptical of their chances of going deep in the playoffs. I felt that some areas of their team left something to be desired, despite a potentially dominant offensive attack. But London got great goaltending from Trevor Cann in round one, which is great to see because he's a solid goalie who's struggled a little bit in London. They have also gotten an absolutely rediculous effort from Nazem Kadri thus far, and as such, the Knights offensive attack is rolling hard. Saginaw has a solid team with some great veteran leadership, however I'm just not sure I see them being able to handle London right now.
Prediction: London in 5

Now let's see if I can go perfect this round.

No comments: